Sunday, October 11, 2009

Going Radish Crazy

So some of you know that I have been spreading radishes throughout my garden in the manner described by Dick Raymond's Joy of Gardening book. The idea is that when you are planting, you plant a few radishes along with everything else. The radishes grow quickly, showing you where you planted, as well as helping to shade the soil (which is important in our Texas heat), and also leave lots of loose soil behind when you pull them.

Well, the first time I tried this I planted way too many, and my chard and beets had a hard time coming through all the radishes. I pulled all the radishes, and the chard and beets are thriving (although that could be because of all the cool weather and rain we have had!). This time, I planted what I thought were a lot fewer radishes, but I replanted almost my entire garden, so cumulatively I still planted a lot of radishes. So yesterday I picked 12 pounds of radishes! I have no idea what to do with them all. They are very good, not the pungent nasty radishes from the heat of the summer, but there sure are a lot of them.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know you don't want to ferment them! Our town has a drop-off for extra garden produce and it goes to feed hungry people. I'll let you know if I think of some good radish recipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 pounds is definitely a lot of radishes! Our garden is completely done. I did check for tomatoes the other day, but the recent rain means they are all rotten. While I was out there I discovered a few strawberries. Weird, but they were good!

    ReplyDelete